The Alan R. Barker Funeral Home is part of a Carleton Place and area tradition with roots dating back to 1875. In 1875 Jacob Leslie started a funeral business on Bridge Street beside the present day All Nations Church (formerly St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church). The Leslie business was continued by Jacob’s son George Leslie in 1892 until its sale to W.H. Matthews in 1919.
W. H. Matthews made use of the Leslie home on Beckwith Street as well as his own home on Lake Avenue East for visitation and funeral services until Alan R. Barker purchased the firm in 1950, when he moved the business to 19 McArthur Avenue.
Also, in 1976 Alan Barker purchased the business and goodwill of the Patterson Funeral Home of Carleton Place, from 3rd generation owner, Gordon Patterson.
Since 1950 the Alan R. Barker Funeral Home on McArthur Avenue has seen many additions and renovations The present day funeral home is a comfortable combination of modern facilities with many of the fine characteristics of the original brick home still intact.